UN special envoy announces temporary pause of intra-Syrian talks
Updated: 2016-02-04 09:37
UN mediator for Syria Staffan de Mistura gestures during a news conference on the Syrian peace talks outside President Wilson hotel in Geneva, Switzerland, Feb 3, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]
GENEVA - UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura announced Wednesday evening in a Geneva hotel the temporary pause of intra-Syrian talks, saying the talks is to be resumed on Feb 25.
He told reporters that this is "not a failure of talks" and he is not frustrated or disappointed but will remain "determined and realistic" in the face of challenges.
The Special Envoy stressed that the temporary pause of intra-Syrian talks does not indicate that discussions have broken down, though more work needs to be done by all sides involved.
"This is not the end and this is not the failure of the talks," he said.
De Mistura highlighted that both sides are interested in starting the political process, adding that a date for the resumption of talks had been set for Feb 25.
"I will be asking for the ISSG (International Syria Support Group) to convene as soon as possible, hopefully already in Munich, the Security Council to meet, and we reconvene in Geneva again on Feb 25," he said.
Since no tangible improvements for the Syrian people have been produced since talks were launched last week, the special envoy deemed it wise to instigate this temporary pause.
De Mistura further announced that he will be probably travelling to London on Thursday for this year's Syria donor conference.