Rebels kill 300 troops in S Philippines in 2010
Updated: 2010-12-27 09:06
SAN AGUSTIN, Philippines - The New People's Army in southern Philippines said on Sunday the group's armed wing has continued to gain an upper hand in the war against government forces in the region.
Madlos said the group welcomed the resumption of the stalled peace talks which would be restarted by February next year, but added it would not be a guarantee they would back down on their armed struggle.
He said the movement would still adopt a two-pronged approach at achieving national democracy which is engaging in peace talks with the government on one hand, and maintaining the NPA on the other, "as the people's last recourse if the other fails."
The rebel official also urged the people to help in the peace process by way of pressuring the government into ensuring the agenda on the comprehensive agreement on social economic reforms or Caser are given a priority during the negotiations.
"We welcome the people's help in addressing the root cause of this insurgency," Madlos said.
The rebel official said the group is continuing to solidify its hold on the resources-rich island, with 42 guerrilla fronts already established in Mindanao this year, up from 39 last year and with more than 200 high-powered weapons seized from government forces since January arming additional NPA units.
Ear We Go
China and the world set to embrace the merciful, peaceful year of rabbit
Preview of the coming issue
Carrefour finds the going tough in China
Maid to Order
Mysteries written in blood
Historical records and Caucasian features of locals suggest link with Roman Empire.
Coastal Yantai banks on little things that matter to grow
New rules to hit property market
The State Council launched a new round of measures to rein in property prices.