Top Tianjin official claims 'responsibility' for blasts
Updated: 2015-08-19 17:20
By Zhao Yinan(chinadaily.com.cn)
Huang Xingguo, acting Party chief and mayor of Tianjin, attends a press conference on Wednesday afternoon. [Photo by Zhu Xingxin/chinadaily.com.cn]
The top official of Tianjin said he blames himself for the deadly blasts near Tianjin port last week and has "inescapable responsibility" for the tragedy on Wednesday afternoon.
Huang Xingguo, mayor of Tianjin, attended the 10th press conference on Wednesday afternoon after explosions originated from a dangerous-chemicals warehouse killed 114, injured hundreds and damaged the houses of more than 17,000 households.
"As the major leader of Tianjin, I have inescapable responsibility for the incident," he said.
Huang said companies and individuals found to be involved in the incident, no matter who they are and what connections they have, will be investigated thoroughly and punished according to the law.
It is the first time for the top official of the municipality to meet the press, more than a week after the blasts occurred.
At the beginning of the press conference, Huang paid tribute to the deceased and said he is in deep grieving for the casualties and financial loss. He then explained he was absent from previous conferences because he was busy directing the rescue work.
Huang said the government will continue to search for the missing people and speed up DNA testing. In addition, the government will make all-out efforts to save the injured, monitor the quality of water, air and soil.
He Shushan, vice mayor of Tianjin in charge of work safety, refrained from releasing the cause of the incident, saying that the investigative group of the State Council is still looking into the issue.
As for the evacuation of dangerous chemicals which remain at the blast site, He said almost 20000 experts and anti-explosive soldiers have started identifying and transferring the remaining chemicals since Tuesday evening.
He said sodium cyanide scattered on the ground in the cordoned off area has been cleared, although there are still some remaining in containers.
"The remains will not pose risks to areas outside the cordoned off area in rainfall. Even if it does pollute rain water, the environmental authorities have worked out a plan to clean up the area," he said.
Wen Wurui, head of the Tianjin municipal bureau of environmental protection, said the incident has affected the environment to a certain extent, but it will not significantly influence human health.