Three more Ugandans test positive for deadly Ebola virus
Updated: 2012-08-08 14:11
Three more people have tested positive of the deadly Ebola virus in the mid-western Ugandan district of Kibaale, raising the total number of confirmed cases to 13, local media reported here on Tuesday.
"The three that tested positive have been put on treatment and are closely being monitored by the disease experts. Twenty-nine suspected cases have tested negative and are currently being screened by our officials to see who is in good shape to go back home," said Dan Kyamanywa, the Kibaale District Health Officer.
The disease, which was declared on July 28, has so far claimed 16 lives in the district, according to the Ministry of Health.
Kyamanywa said the Ebola contacts had increased from 353 by Sunday to 398 on Monday.
He said seven patients, three of whom are inmates, who had been admitted on suspicion of suffering from Ebola have been discharged.
"They have been given a resettlement package to help them re- unite with their families and live better lives," said Stephen Mfashingabo, the vice chairperson of the District Ebola Task Force.
Christine Ondoa, minister of health, said the continued presence of the Ebola epidemic in the district is likely to need more funds than earlier anticipated, with at least 3 billion shillings (1.2 million US dollars) needed to control the disease.