Two HK women among four Chinese killed in Bangkok blast
Updated: 2015-08-18 11:05
Experts investigate near the site of a deadly blast in central Bangkok, Thailand, August 18, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
HONG KONG - Two Hong Kong residents have been confirmed dead in the wake of last night's devastating bomb blast in the heart of the Thai capital Bangkok, Hong Kong's Immigration Department said Tuesday morning.
The two Hong Kong people who died were women aged 19 and 24. The department also confirmed six other Hong Kong residents injured in the incident and they have been sent to local hospitals for treatment.
Three Hong Kong immigration officers will fly to Bangkok this morning to provide help to the victims and their family members.
The Immigration Department advised residents already there to attend to personal safety and remain at safe areas.
22 killed, more than 120 injured
Thai police said earlier that at least 22 people, including four Chinese citizens, were killed in the blast.
More than 20 other Chinese were injured in the blast, according to the embassy.
Over 120 people, including more than 10 Chinese, were in Police General Hospital, according to a Global Times journalist based in Thailand.
The explosives were planted and aimed at taking lives, national police chief Somyot Pumpunmuang said.
The injured, including Thais, Chinese nationals and Filipinos, were taken to nearby hospitals, according to the police.
The Chinese embassy in Thailand was trying to confirm the exact number of Chinese citizens killed or injured, while the consulate general was leading a contingency team that went to hospitals to make sure injured Chinese were properly treated.
The embassy sent translators to the hospitals to help with communication.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which occurred just outside the Erawan shrine at a major intersection.