Shots fired at US consulate in Turkey as wave of attacks kill 9
Updated: 2015-08-11 09:25
A military aircraft belonging to the United States Air Forces lands on the runway at the Incirlik Base in Adana, Turkey as part of the operations against Daesh on August 10, 2015. [Photo/IC]
State Department spokesman John Kirby said the consulate would be open for business on Tuesday.
On the other side of Istanbul, a vehicle laden with explosives was used to attack a police station, wounding three police officers and seven civilians, police said.
One of the attackers was killed during the bombing, while two others and a police officer died in a subsequent firefight, the Istanbul governor's office said.
Shooting continued into the morning in the Sultanbeyli district on the Asian side of the Bosphorus waterway, which divides Istanbul, as police carried out raids.
The attacks came a day after the United States sent six F-16 fighter jets and about 300 personnel to Incirlik Air Base in Turkey as part of coalition efforts to fight Islamic State.
Turkey opened its air bases to the US-led coalition against the militant group last month after some reluctance and also carried out its own bombing raids, stepping up its role after a suspected Islamic State suicide bomber killed 32 people in the town of Suruc near the Syrian border in July.