His top 10 hits
Updated: 2013-07-31 09:19
1. East Wind Breaks: The start of "China Wind", Chou style.
2. Nunchucks: Chinese-style rap incorporating martial arts.
3. Blue and White Porcelain: Chou reaches the apex of his China Wind genre.
4. Adorable Woman: His breakout song.
5. Common Jasmine Orange: A tone poem or a poem with visual charm.
6. Faraway: Chou partners with Fei Yu-ching in a surprisingly moving, cross-generational duet.
7. Last Battle: Chou's foray into the territory of war.
8. Class 2 Grade 3: A school song with ingenious orchestration.
9. Chrysanthemum Terrace: Another classic in pentatonic scale, with its distinctly Asian flavor.
10. Listen to Your Mother: Chou's signature song of family values.
This top-10 list and its capsule comments are provided by Xie Di, a music expert.
The movies he merely stars in may not be the best of the bunch, but those he makes with full creative control never fail to turn heads. Music sensation Jay Chou morphs from a wonder boy with a Midas touch into a mature artist with more strengths than weaknesses, writes Raymond Zhou.more