IBM building in flames in Australia
Updated: 2015-06-02 14:54
SYDNEY -- An electrical fault was blamed Tuesday for sparking a fire that sent smoke flowing out from a tall Brisbane office building occupied by computer giant IBM.
The entire building was evacuated after the fire broke out about 12:30 pm local time in the Queensland capital.
Smoke could be seen billowing close to the top of the building before the blaze was eventually extinguished by local fire brigade.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Service fire inspector Mark Welsh said he believed an electrical fault sparked the blaze.
"We evacuated the building and it took a small amount of time to discover that the fire was in the ceiling space of the building," he said.
"The sprinklers did activate in the building, which did help us extinguish the fire."