Taliban claims shooting attack at Kabul hotel
Updated: 2015-05-14 15:46
An Afghan policeman stands guard at the site of an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan May 13, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
KABUL -- The Taliban has claimed responsibility for a shooting attack at a guest house in Afghan capital of Kabul overnight Wednesday that which has left five people dead, including three foreigners.
The attack occurred at the Park Palace Hotel frequented by foreigners at around 08:30 p.m. local time Wednesday. The counter attack ended early Thursday morning.
At least five people, including a US citizen and two Indians, were killed and six others wounded during the shootout, according to Kabul police.
Further details about the incident are still forthcoming amid the absence of official statement.
Zabiullah Mujahid, a purported Taliban spokesman, told local media that one Taliban fighter named Mohammad Idress carried out the shooting, killing and injuring several foreigners.
Some 54 guests were rescued by Afghan Special Forces, the Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi told reporters earlier on Thursday.
Rahimi also confirmed that one gunman was involved in the incident while unofficial sources earlier said three people carried out the shooting. They said 11 people died in the attack.
"Our security forces arrived on time. They responded to the attack skilfully and rescued 54 people from the targeted building, " Rahimi said.
"A dinner party was underway when the shooting began. A respected Afghan singer Eltaf Houssain was at the hotel for a concert. He survived the shooting," witness Mohammad Naqib told Xinhua near the site.