Israel rejects 3-hour humanitarian truce: Hamas
Updated: 2014-07-20 19:18
Palestinians flee the Shujayeh neighbourhood in a vehicle during heavy Israeli shelling in Gaza City July 20, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]
GAZA -- The Islamic movement Hamas which controls Gaza Strip said on Sunday Israel rejected the International Committee of the Red Cross's (ICRC) temporary ceasefire proposal to evacuate casualties in eastern Gaza city.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement that ICRC proposed a 3-hour humanitarian ceasefire window early Sunday to Hamas and Israel to evacuate casualties in neighbourhood of Sheja' eya in eastern Gaza city. Zuhri said Hamas accepted the proposal while Israel rejected it.
Israel has so far not responded to the statement.
At least 40 Palestinians were killed and 400 others wounded early on Sunday by Israeli artillery fire in a Gaza city neighborhood, marking Sunday the heaviest casualties since Israel launched its ground operation late Thursday night.
An Israeli spokeswoman said residents in neighborhood of Sheja' eya had received warning messages from the Israeli army ahead to evacuate their home.
Palestinian Health Ministry officials said at least 390 Palestinians, many of them civilians, have been killed in the 13- day conflict and about 3,000 have been wounded. On Israel's side, two civilians were killed by cross-border fire and five soldiers died as conflict intensified.
|US: Israel must do more to protect Gaza civilians||Israel invades Gaza after Hamas rejects truce|