Chinese Zheng Jie pins hope on doubles
Updated: 2015-01-20 15:31
Zheng Jie makes a forehand return during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne, Australia, Jan 20, 2015. [Photo/IC]
MELBOURNE -- Chinese Zheng Jie now pins her hope on the doubles after she failed to get past the first hurdles in the Australian Open singles on Tuesday. Zheng was beaten by Chinese Taipei's Chang Kai-Chen 6-1, 6-2 in the first round.
"I wasn't quite myself on court today. I took a surgery at the end of last year and missed the winter training," said the 31-year-old who was the first wild card to have made it to any Grand Slam semifinals as she reached the Wimbledon last four in 2008.
She also reached the semifinals of the 2010 Australian Open where Li Na finished runner-up.
Next Zheng will pair up with Chan Yung-jan of Chinese Taipei in the doubles.
She showed confidence in their cooperation.
"We always have good teamwork. Yung-jan and I trained together a couple of times and our cooperation is good," said Zheng.
"Actually I have higher expectations in the doubles as it is not so straining as the singles competition. I hope we play well," she added.
Also on Tuesday, Zhang Shuai and Zheng Saisai both lost in the first round.
No. 21 seed Peng Shuai progressed to the second round on Monday by defeating Tatjana Maria from Germany, while Chinese Xu Yifan and Liu Fangzhou also moved up, with compatriots Zhang Kailin and Zhu Lin eliminated.