Chinese players make no approach into second round
Updated: 2015-01-20 13:41
MELBOURNE - Chinese player Zheng Jie lost to Kai-Chen Chang from Chinese Taipei Tuesday, on the second day of the ongoing Australian Open.
Zheng Saisai of China hits a return to Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia during their women's singles first round match at the Australian Open 2015 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 20, 2015. Zheng lost the match to Hantuchova. [Photo/Agencies]
The 100th-ranked Zheng lost by 1:6/2:6 to 402nd-ranked Chang in no less than one and a half hour.
Zheng, 32, who had an operation last year, was obviously not quite in shape.
At the press conference after the match, Zheng said she would focus more on her doubles.
Two other Chinese women players, Zhang Shuai and Zheng Saisai also failed to make it into their next round on Tuesday morning.
The 63rd-ranked Zhang, lost 3:6/2:6 to 19th-ranked French player Alize Rornet.
She said at her conference that she had made her due efforts, but her opponent player was better this morning. She was ok with the result.
Another Chinese starlet Zheng Saisai lost 4:6/4:6 to her opponent, Slovaakian player Daniela Hantuchova.
Unlike Zhang, Zheng was quite emotional about her loss. She said that she was not even warmed up before she lost the game, which she originally thought she had good chance to win.
"Next time, I will look better after myself, guarding against cold and unpredictable whether."
Unlike last year's sizzling heat, the temperature this year is around 20 degrees Celsius in Melbourne at the moment, and quite cold on windy mornings, once again catching many lightly-dressed players off guard.