HK confirms first death from H7N9
Updated: 2013-12-26 19:59
HONG KONG - An 80-year-old man infected with the H7N9 bird flu virus has died in Hong Kong, the government said on Thursday, in the first such death in the city after the virus surfaced in early December.
The man, the second person in Hong Kong to be diagnosed with the virus strain, lived in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen and had eaten poultry there, media reported.
The H7N9 strain was first reported in humans in February in China, and has infected at least 139 people in Chinese mainland, Taiwan and Hong Kong, killing more than 40.
Experts say there is no evidence of any easy or sustained human-to-human transmission of H7N9, and so far all people who came into contact with the man had tested negative for the strain, authorities said.