Easing up on English
Updated: 2013-10-24 07:33
By Peng Yining, He Na and Wang Shanshan in Beijing (China Daily)
A sample of the 2012 Beijing Gaokao English exam
Total marks available: 150
Listening: 30 (at present, this accounts for 20% of the total mark, but from 2016, it will rise to 30%)
Multiple Choice: 15
Cloze Test: 30
Some sample questions:
1. George said that he would come to school to see me the next day, but he - .
A) Wouldn't. B) Didn't. C) Hasn't. D) Hadn't.
2. When deeply absorbed in work, - he often was, he would forget all about eating or sleeping.
A) That. B) Which. C) Where. D) When.
3. Do you think this shirt is too tight - the shoulders?
A) At. B) On. C) To. D) Across.
Extracts used for comprehension exercises:
1. The Basics of Math - Made Clear.
2. Peanuts to This.
3. Decision-making under Stress.
1. Four pictures of a young man helping other people were given out to the students, who were then asked to write a story using the pictures as a guide.
2. In one illustration, a pencil laughs at a shorter pencil, which is almost used up, saying: "You're nearing the end!" Students were asked to explain the joke."You are discussing a picture with an English friend. Describe your understanding of the illustration, and the reason why."