Libya dismisses Gadhafi arrest bid
Updated: 2011-05-17 13:56
TRIPOLI - The Libyan government dismissed on Monday the UN war crimes court's arrest warrant against Libyan leader Muammar Gadhafi.
Government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said in a statement that the International Criminal Court (ICC) was "dependent on media reports to evaluate the situation in Libya."
The Libyan government has never "ordered the killing of civilians or hired mercenaries against our people," he said, calling on the international community to make on-the-spot investigations.
Earlier on Monday, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, chief ICC prosecutor, requested the ICC issue arrest warrants for Gadhafi, his second-oldest son Seif al-Islam and his intelligence chief and brother-in-law Abdullah al-Senussi over crimes against humanity in Libya.
Evidence showed that Gadhafi had ordered attacks on innocent civilians, the ICC prosecutor said in The Hague, where the ICC is based.
Wuxi becomes 'test case' for facing country's environmental challenges
There are MORE THAN 300 types of Chinese operas but two POPULAR varieties are major standouts
One of the world's oldest surgeons has performed more than 14,000 operations
Architect of Guangzhou Opera House has many projects under way, including 2012 Olympics.