Shanghai Shenhua shocked by Drogba transfer
Updated: 2013-01-30 17:44
By Tang Zhe (chinadaily.com.cn)
Drogba plays for Shanghai Shenhua in the Chinese Super League games in Shanghai, Sept 15, 2012 file photo. [Photo/CFP]
Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua declared on Wednesday it was shocked by Cote d'Ivoire striker Didier Drogba's transfer to Turkish club Galatasaray, and will appeal to FIFA to protect the club's interests.
Shenhua said in an announcement posted on its website that it was stunned by Galatasaray's approach to a player still under contract.
"We understand Drogba's eagerness to play in the UEFA Champions League, but Shanghai Shenhua Football Club signed a 2 1/2-year contract with Drogba on July 1, 2012. Our club has complied with the terms of the contract and fulfilled our responsibilities and obligations from the start to now.
"Drogba is still a player of Shanghai Shenhua, and the contract between the two sides is still within the terms of validity," the club said.
Shenhua also claimed it is collecting evidence and material in preparation for an appeal to FIFA.
Drogba plays for Shanghai Shenhua in the Chinese Super League games in Shanghai, Sept 22, 2012 file photo. [Photo/CFP]
The 34-year-old former Chelsea star had been involved in a series of transfer rumors during his half-year stay in China, especially after the club was reported to owe him pay during a salary dispute.
Drogba confirmed on his website on Monday that he has signed a 1 1/2-year contract with the 18-time Turkish league champion, which will face the Bundesliga's Schalke 04 in the last 16 of the Champions League on Feb 21.
Contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org