CHINAUS AFRICAASIA 中文双语Français
Home / Voice of China

China condemns Myanmar violence, calls for restraint

China Daily | Updated: 2018-05-14 07:28
A wrecked car is pictured during clashes between the military and Ta'ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) in Muse township, part of Myanmar's Shan state, on May 12, 2018. [Photo/VCG]

China is working to ensure the safety of lives and property of people living along the country's border with Myanmar after fighting broke out between the armed forces and militia in northern Myanmar on Saturday.

A statement from the Chinese embassy said some Myanmar people in the border area had fled into Chinese territory and some stray bullets had been fired into Chinese territory.

The Ruili city government in Yunnan province said it would activate emergency plans on Saturday to help accommodate Myanmar people.

China has no report of causalities, according to the city government. It calls for the suspension of any social activities near the border region. People who need to cross the border should strictly comply with related laws and border security inspections.

The Chinese embassy in Myanmar called on Saturday for the parties to exercise restraint and immediately cease fire and take concrete and effective measures to prevent the situation from worsening.

Condemning the violence and saddened by the injuries and deaths of innocent people, the embassy statement urged the parties to ensure lives and property safety of residents of the border area.

It said the parties concerned in Myanmar are preparing for the third meeting of the 21st Century Panglong Peace Conference and China has been providing assistance.

The statement voiced firm opposition to any attempt to undermine peace and stability along the China-Myanmar border and any act deliberately obstructing the Myanmar peace process.

It called on all parties to enhance dialogue, promote mutual trust and move forward together to play a constructive role in promoting national reconciliation and the Myanmar peace process.

At least 19 people including a police officer, four militia personnel and 14 civilians were killed and 27 others injured in attacks on Saturday morning by armed groups in Muse township, part of Myanmar's Shan state, according to a release from the office of the Commander-in-Chief of the Defense Service of Myanmar.

The attacks targeting three areas were launched by a combined force of the Kachin Independence Army and Ta'ang National Liberation Army.

CHINA DAILY/XINHUA

BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US